Remote control airplanes can be a very fun, inviting and rewarding hobby. Unfortunately it can be a very high-priced hobby as well. With these tough economic times, beginning a new hobby can be a very daunting and high-priced task. Spending extra resources on a risky and high-priced hobby is not something to be taken lightly. If you are curious in the remote control hobby, but have been scared to take the plunge let me guide you to a very fun, exciting, convenient, affordable and easy to fly type of remote control plane.
After almost 20 years in the hobby I have seen, flown, crashed and rebuilt almost every plane on the market. I started many years ago with a cheap and very feeble galvanic plane. It flew, but that is about all I can say about it. It was a start and it taught me the basics of flight and the required supporting equipment. These early galvanic planes were tough to fly and the batteries were high-priced and delivered less than adequate flying times. Finally I transitioned to bigger and more high-priced gas planes. These planes flew faster, more carport and more reliable, but the first cost and supporting tool was overwhelming. A trip to the local flying field meant loading the car up with all sorts of equipment, fuel and large planes. Many of the population I flew with would show up with trailers to hold their planes and equipment. Sure, it was fun, but after awhile the cost and inconvenience of all the needed tools and tool became too much.
Dimensions Power Inverters
As the years went by, more and more galvanic offerings came out on the market. The major draws to electrics were smaller planes, less first investment, less supporting tool and more time spent flying. It was much easier to just toss a smaller galvanic bird into the car along with a few batteries and a charger. Although the cost had come down quite a bit, the electrics were still costly. It was not out of the lowly for an Rtf (ready to fly) combo to cost in the area of 0 or more. If you wanted complicated batteries and good electronic tool you were finding at somewhere in the area of 0. Still not what I would call affordable.
Eventually I transitioned into galvanic jets (Edf's). Very fast and tough to fly planes that were more in the area of 0 for a kit with supporting equipment. I positively enjoyed the speed, and my piloting skills were up to the task. I invested a ton of money into batteries, chargers, electronics, jet kits and more. I positively enjoyed the time I spent with Edf's, but I saw many pilots who did not. A crash normally meant a total loss of the plane, and many times damage to the electronics inside of the plane as well.
Edf jets are not the easiest planes to fly. They want larger batteries which means heavier weights. The heavier weights mean more speed to keep the bird in the air. Due to the speed and power needed to keep the jets in the air, flight times were in the range of 3 to 5 minutes. There is a lot of time and work complex in getting an Edf to the flight field to get 3 to 5 mins of flying. Unless someone had many batteries, there was more time spent standing nearby charging batteries than positively flying. Again, not the most fun activity. I did see many pilots with adequate batteries to keep their planes flying more frequently; however, the cost of those many batteries was out of control.
Over the last few years the ability of both galvanic planes and jets has positively improved. With these improvements, the priced have come down as well. There are many cheaper priced galvanic offerings out on the market now that are very affordable. Unfortunately, affordable normally means a bit of a lack of ability as well as a less than inviting finding plane. Dont get me wrong, there are some nice finding planes out there, but for the most part they are all your typical piper cub and high wind instructor style planes. If someone wanted to fly warbirds or jets, they were back to spending in the neighborhood of 0 - 0 or more.
Then one day I was out at the field. I saw a flight buddy getting a positively nice finding P-40 warhawk ready for a sortie. I noticed from quite a distance away that it was a "silhouette" finding plane. It was flat on the sides and had a flat wing. I asked him about it and he told me that they were called "profile" planes. They were very light weight flat foam planes. population call them by many names now: flat outs, profiles, silhouettes and many more names. They all refer to the same style of plane.
Mark took his P-40 up and I was amazed. It was fast! Very fast as a matter of fact. It buzzed nearby the field several times and then he began putting it straight through its paces. He did several rolls, loops, hammerheads, inverted flight and many more aerobatic stunts. He then proceeded to bring his P-40 by us at an almost walking pace. It slowed down to a crawl and still flew very stable. He then brought it in and landed like a butterfly with sore feet. To say the least I was impressed, with all but the looks. I was not a big fan of the crazy "flat" finding plane.
On his second flight of the day Mark allowed me to pilot his P-40. I have been hooked ever since. I was a more experienced pilot than Mark and I was able to positively make the P-40 look nice in the air. It had an almost 3D type of flight performance. Slow passes followed by vertical climbs with victory rolls positively looked nice! I landed the P-40, packed my car and drove to the hobby shop to buy one that afternoon.
The following week there were 4 profile warbirds at the field. We spent all day long flying, dogfighting, showing off and most of all enjoying our birds. The best part of these warbirds for me was the price. For under 0 I received the Me-109 kit (for some conjecture I enjoy being the bad guy in the sky). I had it flight ready for nearby 0. For that price I could afford an whole fleet! A P-51, Zero and Spitfire soon followed.
I looked at one of my kits while repairing some crash damage one day and decided that I could make one. I got on the web and began researching profile planes. It is a funny thing, but I was not alone. There were many guys finding at doing the same thing. I spent the next 6 months building, crashing, designing and repairing many planes. Finally I began to get it right. I had an whole basement full of warbirds I had built (and it is a large basement). population began to ask for me to make them warbirds. A few at first, and then several each month within just a short time.
Now jest are my true love, and I was researching pusher prop jets. I did not tell whatever because did not want to get overwhelmed with population want information. I was able to build a pusher prop F-16. I easy took a P-51 and changed the shape. I then added a prop to the rear and ballanced the weight out. It flew, but not the best. I then took a foam edf I had and traced the form onto foam board. I began to work on this plane. In doing study on the web again, I came over a thread full of guys producing profile jets and plans. I swiftly had 6 or 8 terminated and in flight condition. They were an instant hit at the field. Our field is not full of warbirds and jets that I built.
Over the last year and a half, I have noticed many associates producing profile planes of all kinds. The last 6 months has even spawned several associates producing profile jets. It is fun to see other products and take hints and ideas that they have used to improve my own creations. I love the profile jets and warbirds. They are easy to fly and best of all very affordable. The only drawback was the looks. I then began to join on the looks of these birds.
I spent the next month or 2 working on adding dimension and details to the birds. I now can furnish a profile bird with a "full fuse" look. I plainly add foam to the sides of the fuselages and shape it down to scale. Painted canopies, missiles, panel lines and other things positively give the planes a good look! My friends and family prodded me to begin to offer my planes for sale. Finally I listened an put a few on eBay.
It is now many months later and my planes are selling! I have sold many on eBay and now have my own website. Please take a look at my site and see what you think! My goal is to supply a thoroughly built airframe warbird or jet that is easy to fly, fun, looks nice, affordable, convenient to transport, and can be enjoyed by all. Jets are so thrilling to fly, and my warbirds make it easy for whatever to fly them. The cost of a completed airframe is very inexpensive! You will be shocked! Again, please take the time to check out profile planes and my website. My site is located at www.funflyrcwarbirds.webs.com
Profile planes are positively a good time. They are cheap, easy, easy to fly and affordable. Toss one in the car and fly at lunch. Go tear up the sky at your local park. Fly combat sorties with your friends. whatever you do, make sure you give one a opportunity as you will love it. I hope to see you at my site and to have the opportunity to assistance you as a customer in the future!
Affordable Remote control Warbirds and Jets That everyone Can Fly